What I read during my holidays



       I am a bookworm. I absolutely love books and I have so many of them in my room that I don't even know how to stock them anymore. Last week I was on a mini vacation with some of my best friends, we went to the south of France so the beach was our main activity. This is why I came prepared and brought a few books in my suitcase. I always bring a few options with me but I only managed to read one this time.  




       The book I want to talk about is Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick. If you don't know her (shame on you!), she's a successful actress that played in Up in the air, the Twilight saga, Into the woods and in the Pitch Perfect trilogy just to name a few. The 32-year-old actress is far from a nobody now but it hasn't always been the case. Her friends at school were more preoccupied with homework and their lovelife than her film festival and redcarpet debut but it hasn't stopped her on her way to success.

      This book is a collection of autobiographical essays where she recounts her upbringing, her experience on Broadway when she was a teenager and more generally growing up in the world of showbusiness. She explains how she started, the support of her parents and her brother accompagnying her to NYC all the way from Maine. She tells stories about the crazy things that she did when she was a young woman and what she thinks adulthood is supposed to be even though she's still doesn't think she's ready for it. When she was thirteen, she decided to "keep the crazy Inside my head where it belonged. Forever. But here's the thing about crazy: It. Wants. Out". She's hilarious, witty and doesn't shy away of subjects that could be perceived as touchy, like sex, drugs and disappointments of a life in Hollywood.

       I loved reading her book and sharing a bit of her crazyness. I felt like we were having a conversation about everything that crossed our mind and it was really refreshing. It wasn't one of those boring autobiography that depict the perfect life of a successful actress. It was funny, real and we had a sneak peek inside the life of an incredibly versatile actress that doesn't take herself too seriously. She really underlines the unglamorous side of being an actress: a 12-year-old in Broadway is a lot of work, Twilight only helped her paid the bills for a time, her Oscar nomination for Up in the Air didn't change her life that much except she was still a "little nobody" that had to pay for a pair of Jimmy Shoo herself even though she was still broke.

        All in all, I would definitely recommand this book! This is a little gem.

                                                                                                            Thanks for reading,
                                                                                                                                 xx Candice

Commentaires